Good morning everyone,
It is Tuesday morning here and it seems that our 13th of the trip was to be a quite memorable one. We went to the airport in Christchurch and after standing in line at Qantas to check in we were told our flight had been cancelled. What a surprise and slight panic ensued. We were told we had a choice of staying overnight-at our own expense - or taking a bus to Queenstown. We chose the bus so we could get there and started on the 8+ hours of hurry up and wait. We were to leave Christchurch by plane at 3:30 but didn't leave on the bus until 4:30. While waiting around we talked to several natives who told us that Qantas does this all the time. They won't fly a 1/2 full flight. Quite interesting.
The positive of all this is that we got to see the Southern Alps and many, many sheep and cattle farms on the way. Not what we would have chosen but a plus nonetheless. There was camaraderie on the trip since we were all in the same boat.
Before we left we had called our local host in Christchurch, Frank, and he made phone calls for us to reschedule our planned activities.
Off to Milford Sound today. Details later.